Brownhill makes it to 150

Kyle in action against Gainsborough in appearance 149. Photo Credit: John Rudkin

Tigers left back, Kyle Brownhill became the 82nd Hyde player to make it to 150 club appearances in the recent 4-1 away victory at Basford United.

It took Kyle twelve games to taste victory for the club but it did get better over time! His full record so far is…

  • Played 151
  • Won 55
  • Drawn 33
  • Lost 63
  • Clean Sheets 35

Kyle, in his third spell with Hyde after spells with Altrincham and AFC Telford United, made his debut against Oxford City in August 2014 and is yet to score for the club.

150 appearances for one club doesn’t happen too often these days and is a great achievement which puts him well inside the top 100 appearance makers for the club. Congratulations Kyle!

John McCombe passes 50 games

Assistant Manager John McCombe made his 50th appearance for the Tigers in the 4-1 victory over Bamber Bridge yesterday.

The Centre Back has scored seven goals in these games and the team has made 12 clean sheets with him in the line up.

John made his debut in the 1-0 win over Basford United in the first game of the 2018/19 season and was given the position of Player/Assistant Manager this summer when Dave McGurk took over the manager role.

His record as a player is Played 50, Won 17, Drawn 9, Lost 24, For 69, Against 71

Our Previous FA Cup 1st Round games…

I’ve had a quick look back at our previous FA Cup First Round games. The game against MK Dons will be the 4th time that Hyde United has competed in this round. The last time was a 3-1 home defeat against, then league side, Darlington in 1994, before the controversial relocation of Wimbledon and it’s subsequent re-branding as MK Dons. Here is the match report from a Darlington point of view…

SOURCE: Northern Echo

The era of the plastic pitch ended at Ewen Fields on Saturday, but Darlington’s FA Cup hopes survived thanks to two goals by Gavin Worboys.

The on loan striker took his tally to four goals in a week, at a crucial time in the game, and he has now done enough to convince manager Alan Murray that he should attempt to make his move from Notts County permanent.

But for half an hour in the first half, Quakers were on course to be one of the first round shocks, as they struggled to come to terms with the Northern Premier League club’s artificial surface.

Bernie Slaven’s equaliser settled a few nerves leaving Worboys to do the rest with a little help from Mike Pollitt whose penalty save capped a superb performance.

Murray was scathing in his criticism of the pitch. The surface has been outlawed by the FA from next season. Two hours before kick off, there were at least a dozen large pools of water on the pitch, while on other places patches of mud and sand. It also showed distinct signs of wear and tear.

“The pitch was absolutely shocking,” blasted Murray, “and a lottery for anybody trying to get through to the third round of the Cup.

“Like a lot of clubs in our position, we need to reach the big boys. We only got to train on it for an hour and that’s not enough for a game like this.

“We were tortured a little bit in the first half, but we closed them down in the second and go at them. The class gap showed.

“Pollitt did his job well. He saved the penalty, swept up at the back as a keeper should do on this sort of surface, and definitely contributed to the win.

“Bernie’s goal gave us a lift when we wanted it, because we hadn’t played until then.”

Murray revealed that he will be trying to make Worboys a permanent feature in the next few days.

“I know all the circumstances if I want to make the deal permanent. I have spoken to Gavin and he wants to come to the club because he’s really enjoying himself. I will be speaking to Notts County on Monday, but the price has already been agreed. The deal was that we took him for a month with a view to making it permanent. I would expect them to stick to that.”

Quakers tried to play the game at their pace, but they were hit after only eight minutes when Colin Little broke down the right and set up Ged Kimmins, who skilfully chipped Pollitt.

The keeper then came to Quakers’ rescue on several occasions as his defence struggled to cope with the surface and Hyde’s attacks.

But Quakers hit back out of the blue at the other end. Hyde keeper Arthur Williams had barely been troubled until the 38th minutes, when Slaven headed into the bottom corner from Steve Gaughan’s free kick.

After 51 minutes, Slaven and Robbie Painter worked the ball across the edge of the box into the path of Worboys who found the bottom corner with a left foot shot.

Two minutes later, Gaughan found him sprinting clear with a long ball and he guided it into the net for his fourth goal in two games.

A foul by Mattie Appleby on Nolan led to a penalty award – the fifth Darlington have given away this season – but Pollitt beat away Nolan’s effort.

The save knocked the stuffing out of Hyde. Pollitt had to race out of his goal a couple of times to clear, but there were better chances at the other end.

The teams that day were

Hyde United: Arthur Williams, Terry Megram, George Switzer, Dave O’Brien, Billy Garton, Colin Little, Ged Kimmins, John McMahon, Oshor Williams (Tony Camilleri), Phil Chadwick, David Nolan. Subs not used: Mark Aitken, Alan Waugh.

Darlington: Pollitt, Appleby, Himsworth, Banks, Crosby, Gegan, Slaven, Painter, Gaughan, Olsson, Warboys. Subs: Reed, Chapman, Collier.

Before that we faced Burnley in 1983. It was a home tie but it was switched to Turf Moor for safety and financial reasons, many people thought this ended any chance of Hyde providing a cup upset. Indeed many Hyde fans disagreed completely with the decision taken by the board of directors who had initially stated the game would be played at Ewen Fields. Nevertheless, 1500 Tigers made the trip and Hyde gave a decent account of themselves losing 2-0.

SOURCE: North Cheshire Herald

For supporters watching a Tigers team in FA Cup action for the first time in 29 years, the memories of a quite brilliant fighting display will linger on. The will never forget that first, fascinating 45 minutes when the free-wheeling, stylish Kevin Glendon outshone Burnley’s multi-million pound superstars, or when Barry Howard ghosted three times past players who have played in internationals all over the world.

Long will they remember a brave backs to the wall performance in the second half when the ten terrific Tigers weathered a barrage that would have sunk a lesser team.

With Gary Blore and Brian Hart brilliant in a defence that gave their all, the likes of £1 million man Kevin Reeves and Northern Ireland World Cup star Billy Hamilton knew they had been in a game.

For the first 30 minutes Hyde matched one of the best sides in the third division in every department. But in the second half it was only the bravery and brilliance of Colin Darcy that stood between Burnley and four or five goals.

Time after time Darcy flung himself about to keep out shots and headers from players who, until Saturday, were simple headline names in the national press.

Burnley stuck their noses in front at the worst possible time for Hyde. With 30 seconds of the first half to go, a Brian Flynn corner from the right was headed on by a near post flick from Reeves and there was Burnley’s £80,000 signing from Southampton, Malcolm Waldron, forcing home a header.

Earlier it had been nip and tuck, with Hyde settling down right from the stat. Never in awe of Burnley’s costly collection of stars, Charlie Pawsey, a product of Sunday football, looked sharp but it was Howardwho looked good for a goal.

If Hyde had a problem it was finishing. Time and again the Tigers reached the Burnley penalty box and Howard had three shots but each was too weak to trouble Roger Hansbury.

Hyde might have snatched one in the opening minutes but top scorer Peter Coyne was a fraction too slow to sieze ona loose ball in the Burnley goalmouth. The Wales skipper Brian Flynn tried a near suicidal lob to Hansbury that was just too high for Coyne.

Burnley had the ball over the line after 21 minutes, but referee Keith Walmsley of Blackpool, who had a poor game, disallowed Derek Scott’s shot after a foul on Darcy by Hamilton.

Hamilton, looking sluggish after his midweek game for Northern Ireland in West Germant, missed several chances of putting the game beyond Hyde’s reach.

Burnley came into their own after the break with Blore heading a cross against his own upright and Reeves sending in a stunning header that was beaten out by Darcy.

Then disaster struck for Hyde. Five minutes into the halfSteenson was booked for an untidy tackle on Burnley man of the match Tommy Hutchinson and seven minutes later the Hyde skipper sent the winger flying with an almost carbon-copy tackle. Despite his protests, Steenson was sent off.

Amazingly it strengthened Hyde’s resolve and minutes later Coyne turned in the box to stab in a shot that beat Hansbury but was kicked off the line by Mike Phelan.

The Tigers still looked dangerous on the break but often the Burnley front line had them penned in their own half. With Terry Cook playing well the Hyde defence somehow kept them out. But it was one-way traffic in the main with Darcy, who was later named man of the match, brilliantly turning a Flynn shot around the post and magically keeping out Reeves.

Hyde’s travelling army were magnificent and when Glendon curled one past the post they really made themselves heard.

While Hyde were only a goal down there was hope but with six minutes left Mr Walmsley judged that Cook had fouled Scott in the box, with Reeves acoring from the spot.

It was a harsh decision that was cruel on Hyde, but Burnley’s pressure in the second half fully justified a second goal. And losing 2-0 to a team of this standing is hardly a disgrace.

At the end of the game Hyde’s players and officials stood in the middle of the field applauding their fans. The supporters reciprocated…the Tigers had lost but oh, they made it difficult for Burnley’s stars.

The Hyde team that day was

Colin Darcy, Tony Steenson, Kevin Glendon, Steve Johnson, Gary Blore, Brian Hart, David Holt, Peter Coyne, Charlie Pawsey, Terry Cook, Barry Howard. Subs not used: Peter Coutts.

The first time Hyde had made it to the first round was way back in 1954. An away tie against third division Workington managed by Bill Shankly. The Cumbrians were 5-0 ahead inside 18 minutes but Hyde eventually rode the tide, losing 5-1.

SOURCE: North Cheshire Herald

Hyde United made a gallant exit from the FA Cup competition on Saturday, when they went down by five goals to one at Workington in front of a crowd of 10,000.

Hyde were five down long before half time, but so courageously did they fight back that they warmed the hearts of the 2,000 followers and earned fulsome praise from the Cumbrian third division opposition.

They brought honour to Hyde and to the Cheshire League.

The Workington Reds, known locally as Bill Shankly’s Bank of England XI (the club spent £17,500 in transfer fees towards the end of last season) were playing a spellbinding game in the early stages, switching the point of attack in bewildering fashion, darting into open spaces for the return pass, and seemingly mesmerising the Hyde defence.

With every searing thrust of Workington’s eight-pronged attack, Parkinson and Brickell were forced deeper and deeper into their own territory and, faced with such a menacing array, the halves had precious little time to turn their minds to forging an attacking link themselves.

Hyde’s hopes were dashed in the first 18 minutes when they were five down and, to crown their sorrows, Eric Webster had to be carried off for a ten minute spell of medical attention, but they fought back with credit to earn the plaudits of the crowd.

As Workington slowed the tempo to take a momentary breather, Hyde spied the slight opening and cracked home an attack which surprised Workington.

Do not let anybody fool you that the Football League side were content to coast for the remaining 65 minutes. If they could have slammed in another five they would have been delighted to do so.

Ten thousand people on the ground might have been prepared to agree that Hyde were beaten already but the players were obviously not subscribers to the same opinion for the remainder of the game was a grim battle.

The Hyde forwards, beautifully prompted by the militant halves, swept down on enemy territory and only the brilliance of goalkeeper, Newlands, plus over-eagerness on the part of the raiders, prevented Hyde from closing the gap.

Workington’s goals were scored byBertolini, Whittle (2) and Dailey (2).

The second half saw the emergence of Hyde full of battle. Lansley, of whom little had been seen in the first half, slipped a pass to Hilton but the centre-forward’s drive across the face of goal had negative results as Morrissey failed to bring it under control.

A remarkable change came over Hyde as they found that progress could be made against their League opponents and, in a series of well-planned raids, they more than disturbed the opposition.

A goal was long overdue, Hilton crashed a beautiful shot against the bar but, in the 60th minute, Hilton found the net. From a corner on the right, Morrissey played the ball to Lansley, whose shot was blocked. The ball rolled out to Hilton, who crashed it home from close quarters.

The Hyde contingent went wild but, despite a quickening of the pace, Hyde just could not make a further impression.

The Hyde line up that day was as follows

Walton, Brickell, Parkinson, Pye, S Walker, Barber, Morrissey, Rogers, Hilton, Webster, Lansley.

So there we are, can Hyde step up from being battling losers to triumphant victors in the first round?

We will find out at Ewen Fields on Friday.


[social_warfare buttons=””Facebook,Twitter””]

Current Squad Games & Goals at 30/10/2017

All Time Hyde United Appearances & Goals (Current Squad)

All Time appearances/goals for Hyde United (Current Squad) at 30/10/2017

Player Total Games Total Goals
Matthew BEADLE 35 22
Peter BOYLE 99 13
David BROWN 7 1
James BURKE 109 4
Harry COATES 48 5
Ryan ELLISON 73 1
Tyrone GAY 18 0
Kyle HARRISON 45 1
Lewis HAYDOCK 7 0
Marcus HAYDOCK 1 0
James HODGES 2 0
Karl JONES 17 6
Phattaraphol KHAMSUK 74 12
Janni LIPKA 43 2
Paddy MILLER 33 3
Luke PORRITT 15 7
Christopher SUTHERLAND 28 3
TOTALS 674 81

Darren Kelly’s record in charge

Pl 78 W 35 D 19 L 24 GF 136 103

1971/72 season complete

And that is another season completed.

1971/72 saw Hyde finish a creditable 8th place in the Cheshire County League.

Rhyl were the champions in this season, winning the title by an impressive nine points (2 for a win back then).

There are a few gaps in line ups and scorers that may not ever be able to be filled, but here are the individual player statistics that have been proven.

Top of the appearance list for this season was Ian McQueen with an impressive 57 games (all starts). Also breaking the 50 barrier were goalkeeper Tony Unsworth (54), Winger Barry Howard (54), Ray Perry (52) and Micky Haughton (50). Jack Dobson and Paul Fitzgerald (on 48 & 46 respectively) possibly broke 50 when the missing line ups are taken into account but I can’t confirm this.

There was a tie at the top of the goalscoring charts (with all confirmed data) as Ian McQueen and Jimmy Hallsworth both scored 26 goals. Barry Howard scored 14 with Micky Haughton and Ian Sandiford grabbing 9 each.

Pete O’Brien featured during this season, scoring 7 goals in 16 games but spent much of the season playing with Oldham Athletic before he returned to Ewen Fields for the 72/73 season.

Hyde had a good FA Cup run in 71/72 reaching the 4th Qualifying Round and losing 3-1 to Bangor City, prior to that, each round went to a replay with Hyde triumphing against Kirkby Town, Horwich RMI, Mossley and Ashton United.

The full season data can be found on


Club record holder (for most times sent off) James Burke made his 100th appearance for the club in the recent fixture against Colwyn Bay. Congratulations to James and here’s to the next 100!

James Burke

Over the next few weeks we could well hit some more milestones with Pete Boyle nearing 100 appearances and Harry Coates and Kyle Harrison approaching 50 each.